Discover the Wonders of the
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
The Ngorongoro Conservation Area (NCAA) serves as a remarkable testament to the successful integration of diverse land uses, offering a truly unique experience for wildlife enthusiasts and those passionate about preserving local culture.
This expansive UNESCO-protected World Heritage Site spans an impressive 8,292 square kilometres. It encompasses a rich tapestry of ecosystems, including the Empakai Crater, Olduvai Gorge, Ndutu (comprising the short grass plains of the southeastern Serengeti ecosystem), and the iconic Ngorongoro Crater.
The Ngorongoro Crater, a natural masterpiece, takes centre stage within this conservation area. Its immense, sheer walls plunging 610 meters to the crater floor create a mesmerising spectacle that stands among the pinnacle attractions of any Tanzanian safari expedition. What distinguishes the Ngorongoro Crater is its role as a haven for nearly all the vital large mammalian species of the East African plains.
Remarkably, it houses one of Tanzania’s healthiest populations of critically endangered black rhinos, making it a premier destination for rhino enthusiasts. Additionally, the concentration of apex predators, spearheaded by hyenas and lions, remains unparalleled globally.
Reasons to visit Ngorongoro Conservation Area
- Witness the incredible diversity of East African wildlife within the Ngorongoro Crater.
- Experience the awe-inspiring annual migrations that grace the western and northern plains.
- Enjoy the best chances of encountering rhinos in Tanzania.
- Immerse yourself in the stunning and varied landscapes, from expansive plains to towering volcanoes.
- Explore a top-rated park known for its rich biodiversity.
What to Do
- Embark on thrilling game drives within the Ngorongoro Crater.
- Discover the highlands of the crater on safari excursions.
- Go hiking with experienced guides on a range of scenic trails.
- Delight in birdwatching amidst the diverse avian population of the crater.
- Immerse yourself in cultural tourism experiences with the Maasai and Hadzabe tribes.
- Explore the fascinating world of archaeology at Olduvai Gorge and witness the intriguing shifting sands attraction.
- Conveniently accessible by road from Arusha.
- Scheduled and charter flights from Arusha, Zanzibar, or Dar es Salaam for a seamless journey.
Best Time to Visit
- Wildlife thrives year-round in the crater, making it a rewarding destination at any time.
- To avoid crowds and enjoy a more serene experience, consider visiting during the low season.
- Regardless of when you visit Ngorongoro, you are assured of an exceptional safari adventure filled with remarkable wildlife encounters.